Put Puffiness in the Past: How to Use an Ice Roller
If you're looking for a way to elevate your skincare routine, look no further than ice rolling. A type of cryotherapy, this skincare trend is generating a buzz in the beauty world. Skincare enthusiasts and pros alike can’t get enough of this amazing facial treatment, which combines a lymphatic massage with sub-zero temperatures.
The aim of this technique is to reduce puffiness and redness, leaving skin tighter, brighter and more radiant.
Do ice rollers really work?
Yes they do! Cryotherapy is a medically proven treatment that uses extremely cold temperatures to improve health by constricting blood vessels, reducing inflammation, and boosting antioxidant levels.
Ice rolling the skin dramatically increases blood circulation to the targeted area. This boosts collagen production and helps to alleviate sagging, while flushing away toxins and decreasing water retention.
Intrigued? Keep reading to learn what using an ice roller tool involves, the benefits of doing it, and how to get the most out of this treatment.
What is ice rolling?
An easy, non-invasive beauty treatment you can perform at home, ice rolling combines facial massage and cold therapy into one amazing tool. Used on the body, the roller’s cooling effect helps with menopausal hot flushes, muscle soreness and more.
The ice roller itself is a hand-held skincare tool that looks a bit like a mini paint roller. The roller’s head is either made from stainless steel, or from gel or water encased in a plastic cover. Unlike an ice cube, an ice roller stays cold, so it won’t melt and drip all over your face!
What’s the difference between an ice roller and a jade roller?
Both jade rollers and ice rollers are well worth having in your beauty toolkit.
Like a jade roller, an ice roller can improve lymphatic drainage because its gentle rolling motions help to eliminate excess fluid. This helps to contour and define the face. But there are differences, too.
Thanks to its ice-cold temperature, an ice roller can reduce inflammation, tighten skin, and shrink pores. In contrast, a jade roller improves elasticity and tone, and helps the skin to absorb serums and other skincare products.
For the best of both worlds, dermatologists recommend using a jade roller in the evening, and an ice roller in the morning to really wake up your skin.
What are the benefits of ice rolling for the skin?
Ice rolling massage reduces inflammation, constricts blood vessels, and increases circulation, so you can immediately expect to see:
- Reduced puffiness in the face and around the eyes
- Reduced redness and diminished spots
- Tighter skin and smaller pores
- A better-defined jawline and cheekbones
- Improved radiance
With daily use you should notice skin that’s firmer and calmer, with fewer outbreaks. You may also see fewer fine lines, thanks to the increase in collagen production and reduction in inflammation.
Besides its skincare benefits, this icy little gadget works wonders for headaches, blocked sinuses, tense muscles, hot flushes, and sunburn. And if you’ve just waxed, it will soothe any sore areas.
Ice rollers can be used at any time of the day, but ice rolling in the morning is a fantastic pick-me-up for a tired and puffy face. The icy temperature instantly refreshes your complexion.
If you’ve had a late night—or one too many Mai Tais with a side of salty fries—you'll reduce the puff fast.
For best results, ice roll at the end of your skincare routine, after moisturizer but before you apply makeup. Wait at least 10 minutes for your skin products to be absorbed, because the cold will constrict blood vessels, slowing absorption.
How often should I use an ice roller?
Dermatologists agree that ice rolling is safe for skin and can be performed daily. For optimal results, we recommend ice rolling every morning for 5-15 minutes (we do it while we sip our coffee!).
How to use an ice roller
So, you’re ready to roll! But first, you need to make sure your ice roller is ice-cold.
Overnight freezing is ideal, but even 15 minutes in the freezer (or in the refrigerator at a push) should keep your gadget cold enough for a quick session of around 5 minutes. We recommend storing the ice roller in the freezer so it’s ready to go next time. Clean it first, and then pop it in a zip-lock bag so it doesn’t touch your frozen food.
When rolling, it's definitely best to use a light touch. Start in the middle of your face and work outwards and upwards to reap the benefits. There’s no need to avoid acne outbreaks. Gently rolling over spots calms inflamed pimples and helps to flatten raised ones, leaving you with smoother, more even-toned skin.
Here’s our step-by-step guide to effective ice rolling
- Cleanse your face and apply skincare, including moisturizer. Aim to ice roll about 10 minutes after your skincare routine, but before you apply makeup.
- Remove your ice roller from the freezer. Attach the handle if necessary. (It’s best to get a roller with a removable head, so the handle isn’t unpleasantly cold to hold.)
- Check the temperature. Wait for a couple of minutes before using it, as anything too icy could give you a cold burn.
- Start with your forehead. Roll in a zigzag motion, then repeat the motion along each side of your nose.
- Roll very gently around the eye area. Avoid your eyelids.
- Move on to your cheeks. Roll upwards, adding a little extra pressure over cheekbones for a lifted look.
- Move down to your mouth, chin and jaw area. Roll in outwards strokes, moving along the jawline itself for improved definition.
- Finish on your neck and chest. Repeat the upwards and outwards strokes.
- For your body, use a zigzag upwards motion. Remember to keep the roller moving; if you pause on one area for too long it will get very cold.
- Super-sensitive skin? Keep your initial treatments brief. If your skin doesn’t react, build up to longer sessions.
How do you clean an ice roller?
- Dampen a clean microfiber cloth.
- Add a few drops of mild soap.
- Gently wipe the handle and head of the ice roller.
- Rinse the ice roller with water and then lay it flat to air dry.
- Once it's completely dry, return the ice roller to the freezer.
Why choose the Éclat ice roller?
There's no need to search high and low for the best ice roller. Compact, lightweight and easy to use, the Éclat roller comes with two Rapid-Freeze roller heads in gel and stainless steel.
Unlike other rollers, which need hours of cooling, ours are ready after just 15 minutes in the freezer! What’s more, the heads stay chilled for over 2 hours, so you can treat different areas of your face and body in one session. This contrasts with other ice rollers, which start warming up within 30 minutes.
To protect skin from ice burn, our ice roller heads freeze at a uniform temperature for cryotherapy that’s gentler on the skin.
We've also made our roller heads removable, so the handle doesn't go in the freezer. This means your hands stay warm while the treatment area remains chilled.
Unlike some heads which can catch or get stuck, our heads glide ultra-smoothly across your skin.
Beauty fans say the easy-grip handle is really comfortable to hold. The ergonomic shape helps you reach awkward areas—like the neck and the back of the shoulders—easily. We’ve also included a travel case so you can ice roll wherever you go!
Ready to roll?
Has this article persuaded you to add ice rolling to your daily beauty routine? We don’t think you’ll regret it. In our experience, this easy, low-cost skin treatment has almost no downsides. We’re loving the contouring, tightening, and exhilarating effects of our daily ice-cold massage session... and we think you will, too!